Friday, March 29, 2013

March 29, 2013

March 29, 2013

Finally Feels Like Spring!

First off, I want to say I LOVE THIS WEATHER!  It is such a nice refresher after a winter that did not want to give in to spring.  Hopefully, the warm weather is here to stay!  Especially for VEISHEA.  That'd be great!  Second off, I want to just acknowledge that I am incredibly flattered by my secret admirer post on the Iowa State Secret Admirer page.  It certainly made my Wednesday and was such a nice surprise after my test that day! :)  I think the page is a really good idea; I love knowing the fact that there is so much love on campus!

I think Jess and Megan did an excellent job this week going over campus resources.  I know ISU has an incredible amount of resources to help students out.  I personally have used quite a few: the Hixson building, the library help desk, CyRide, CyRide app, the Help Van, Thielen, the MWL hall desk, the maintenance request service, among several other things.  It will be good to let our recitation sections know the various student services available as well as other campus resources.  You never know when you might need something!  For example, it was a cold morning a few weeks ago a few days after a snow storm.  I had cleared off my car the evening before so I would not have to do it in dress clothes.  However, when I arrived at my car the following morning, the frost had effectively frozen my door.  I had to go back to my apartment to find a screwdriver to pry open the door.  Once I had the door open, I began to proceed to scrape the windows, but as I go to shut the door, the latch froze and refused to shut properly (or at all).  I called the help van after being stuck with my car for an hour and the guy came out and fixed it with whatever was wrong with it.  I was effectively an hour late to work, but the help van came in handy, especially on that cold morning.

A little late on this, but I hope everyone had a great spring break.  Mine was pretty good.  I went to Chicago over St. Patrick's Day weekend.  Yes, the river really was green.  Yes, there were tons of people.  And yes, I traveled with Iowa fans who gave me a lot of grief over the weekend.  However, when Iowa basically gave up what was I think a 20 point lead to Michigan State during the B1G tournament and LOST, my night was made, especially after the debacle of a game against Kansas earlier.  They told me I could walk home. (I didn't have to walk, thankfully!)

On Sunday, the men lost a complete heartbreaker to Ohio State.  I was in complete shock. My heart goes out to the guys on that squad.  We could have gone so far and the game was ours!  Ugh...Just thinking about this gets my stomach in knots again.  Moving on, the Mayor himself signed a new 10-year, $20 million contract last night!  Iowa State's man is here to stay long-term.  Great things are on the horizon here in Ames between Paul and Fred (and the other sports as well).  I look forward immensely to what the future holds in store for our Cyclones!

By the way, if my calculations are correct, there are only 155 days until the first football game of the season!  Who's ready?

Until next time, enjoy the weather, have a great Easter weekend, and go Cyclones!
Katie

2 comments:

  1. Katie,

    The weather is fantastic! I got to go running outside for the second time this semester and I loved it.

    I never knew you could use the help van for that type of thing. I have never had to use it before. You certainly never know when you will need something.

    Sounds like you had a fun break. I didn't get out of Ames, but campus is pretty nice when no one is here.

    I was thrilled when I heard about Hoiberg's new contract. I look forward to him doing great things for our basketball team. Iowa State sports are just going to continue to get better for the next decade. And only 154 (now) days until football??? I'm ready!

    Joshua

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had the opportunity to take advantage of done if the resources on campus and I'm so glad they're there.

    It sounds like you had an eventful break.

    ReplyDelete