Sunday, March 3, 2013

March 3, 2013 - Part 2

March 3, 2013 - Part 2

Social Media Week

Another week has come to an end.  Has anyone else been completely surprised by how fast February went?  I mean it's MARCH THIRD already?!  Nonsense.  But I suppose time flies when you're busy "studying" to get that all-mighty degree, right?  That's what I thought.

I know this past week has been filled with the insanity that was the Kansas - Iowa State debacle.  I'm still not entirely over it, but I have to say one thing: yesterday's loss was horrendous.  I didn't watch the whole game, but the parts I did see - it was borderline ridiculous.  We needed a win, badly.  Hopefully the next game will go better and we will be more in sync.  We can't get to the tournament by losing games.

So yesterday was the Air Force ROTC's Dining Out night.  I went as a date with a neighbor and it was not a bad time.  Although no clapping was allowed (except when the Brigadier General Clinton E. Crosier, an ISU grad, bashed Iowa), which I found strange (you had to hit your spoon or knuckles against the table instead of clapping), it was a pleasant evening.  I did find out, however, that I can't ballroom dance to save my life.  I'm not a very good follower and I can't keep time.  The waltz and fox trot are lost on me.  Sorry to Isaac for not being very coordinated and being a good foot shorter than him (even in four-inch heels).

I believe that Social Media Week was a success.  I enjoyed interacting with everyone - it certainly made my week more interesting.  I'm an avid Twitter user, so I didn't really have any trouble tweeting 20-25 times in a week.  I didn't like, however, to unprotect my tweets.  However, it was only for a week, and while I gained several followers (for example, all of you, @cyrideprobz, and @PeopleOfISU to name a few), I did get favorited or retweeted by random accounts, such as Andrew Grossman, Nick Lavigne, Barack Hussein Obama (over a tweet about CyRide??), and one by Justin Bieber (not the real Biebs).  That was a little unnerving to know that my tweets were out there for everyone and random people can favorite or retweet them. 

 
I think that Kat and Tyler did a good job presenting in class over group dynamics.  I liked the sardine video, it's kind of amazing how a group of thousands can manuever like that.  It reminded me of the scene from Finding Nemo when Dory and Marvin are asking for directions.


Gotta love Pixar. :)  I also liked the activity with the poles and how we had to work together as a group to get the timing down.  It took a little bit, but we finally got the hang of it.  Props to Tyler and Kat!

Until next time.
Go State!
Katie

2 comments:

  1. I love that scene from Finding Nemo. It's a great example of teamwork. I think all of the new followers is a part of the Twitter experience. Twitter was meant for following strange people you don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoyed social media week, it was interesting to see what everyone else in the class was tweeting about. At ISCORE, in one of my sessions, we gave answers and feedback to questions by tweeting at their #ISUMenOfColor, it was really neat.

    ReplyDelete